Monday, October 6, 2008

The Birthday That Never Ends (according to Roger)

Roger says Sue's birthday never ends. Sue and her mother shared the same birthday. They had a tradition of celebrating "Forever" as Roger use to say. It went on and on and on according to him. It was always a joke between Sue and her mother. Of course Roger just laughed about it.

Well the tradition continues. Sue has two friends that makes sure it does. They each give Sue a birthday bag the beginning of the week. Sandy and Bonnie. The bags have a gift to open each day of her birthday week. So this is one full week of gifts. Then she gets gifts in the mail, ok? Then there are cards in the mail, on the internet,& birthday calls. Usually Roger grabs the phone when he is home. So he seems to be there when people call. Thursday, Sandy took Sue to "Ladies Night out" at her church for a dinner for her birthday. Friday, friends the "Hickman's" took Sue and Roger out to dinner for Sue's birthday. Then on Sunday night Lee and Tara and Trinity came over with flowers, a balloon, and a sweet card! So the party still went on!

Now lets' go back a bit. When Sue's parents lived in Staunton before they passed away, Sue and her mother had this "plan". On their birthday, they decided to get the most out of it! So, Betty (Sue's mom) would have Dick (Sue's dad) take Sue out to eat for her birthday and of course she would have to go along. At the meal Sue would say, "Dad when are you going to take Mom out for her birthday?" And then he would say, I am now." Sue would reply, "No this is for my birthday." So this would mean he would have to take Betty out again. So when that would be arranged Betty would say, "I can't go without Sue, so Sue would go when Dick took Betty for her birthday." So we would all go again. Then when we would go again, I would say to Roger, "When are we going to take Mom out for her birthday, Roger?" And again we would have to go out. Then when we would go out for Betty's birthday, mom would say,"Roger when are you taking Sue out for her birthday?" Then Roger would have to take me out and I would say we can't go without mom, I went with her for her meal." ..... We would all laugh over this scheme!!!

I decided this year when Roger said, "your birthday still goes one forever," that Sunday after church we were going out to eat for "mom's" birthday. And we did. Roger liked the idea! It was really neat to go out in memory of mom's birthday! I think we will keep up the tradition. It has been hard the past 10 years to not have her with me on my birthday. But now I am going to celebrate her birthday every year in her honor!

2 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest story ever. Two people that truely deserve to have their Birthday remembered all year round. I miss mom too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm glad to know that my sneakiness runs in the family. One time I had a girlfriend call Jimmy and help him plan to take me out to the place I wanted to go on my birthday. He took total credit for it, but at least I got to go where I wanted to!

    Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete